Pages

January 5, 2012

trifling with chocolate

Please Lord, never let anyone institute Chocoholics Anonymous, 'cause I don't wanna be cured!
Because I wished to show off highlight use my trifle bowl for Christmas Day dessert, I started plotting a few weeks prior what lovely ingredients would be showcased that evening. In the past I'd done raspberry & white chocolate, key lime, strawberries & cream -- even, ashamedly, a Twinkie & cherry trifle (gorgeous, by the way...) Selfishly, I decided to please myself and created a chocolate fantasy. It is chocolate cake, chocolate pudding & cocoa-rum whipped cream:
(Well, if I would've truly realized my fantasies, I'd have added chocolate chips 
and chocolate syrup...)

The cake recipe is from the Depression Era. (Can you believe this is the first time I've tried this recipe?!?) It is egg-less & milk-less. It is incredibly moist & chocolaty without being too sweet. It is called "Wacky Cake" because of the ingredients.
Sift the dry ingredients together into an 8x8 pan. (no need to spray or grease)

Make three holes in dry mixture and put vanilla in one, oil in the next, and vinegar in the last.
Pour cold water over all


and stir.

Bake in 350° oven for 25 - 30 minutes.

After the cake cooled, I cut it into squares. I crumbled about a third of them into the bottom of my dish. I topped that with a third of my pudding.
(yes - this package uses a gallon of milk & makes over 4 quarts of pudding
no - I did not make the entire package
and yes - I very much wanted to!)



















































Onto the pudding went my cocoa-rum layer.
(sift cocoa & XXX sugar, add to cream, whip, add rum & whip until peaks form)
I repeated this to fill the dish, reserving some of the cake for topping.

I'm linking up to Sheryl's Cast Party Wednesday.
Cast Party Wednesday



2 comments:

  1. This is the most wonderful dessert with all those layers. I agree with you about chocolate. I don't want to be cured. It is just too delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um. I just drooled a little. I am a recent chocoholic--it's weird, I never really liked it as a kid--and this looks amazing. My sister made a pumpkin gingerbread trifle for Thanksgiving that was really good, too!

    ReplyDelete

So...
What do you think?