Pages

January 19, 2012

Lemon Pistachio Rugelach

Kristen from Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker is once again rounding up "foodies" for her Improv Challenge. Our ingredients for January's challenge were lemons and sour cream.
I just love the versatility of these two staples! You can go fancy-schmancy, or you can go rustic. I think I went somewhere in the middle there!
So, here's my recipe up front: 
And here's how I did it:
This pastry turns out unbelievably tender & flaky -- no matter how much you handle the dough...
This shows how I made it:


You could buy lemon curd, but this recipe is quite simple! (... & jars of curd are so expensive...)
See -- easy peasy!


The cookie is not sweet, but totally addictive. It is better a day or two after baking.  So delish!
I sampled with coffee, with milk, & with tea -- for research purposes only.


(I perused various recipe books, blogs, and Jewish baking forums to find the perfect dough. My lemon curd recipe is also a hybrid -- adapted from Ina's & Alton's recipes on the Food Network, combined with a little Joy of Cooking, Epicurious & Fannie Farmer lemon tart recipes . . . )


Linking up with 
Improv Challenge (I'm also linking up with Sheryl...)



17 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to make rugelach...and your lemon version is FABULOUS!!! Executed perfectly! Great idea for our challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a fabulous idea for the lemons and sour cream. The rugelach looks fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That certainly looks beautifully flaky and light! I definitely will try this "Incredi-pastry" out ... what a great name!

    ReplyDelete
  4. For research purposes... I'm SO going to borrow that line! Research purposes gained me 10 pounds over Christmas! Awesome challenge idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never even heard of rugelach, but these look so flaky and tasty, I will add them to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the idea of using pistachios in rugelach. And lemons are the icing on the cake ... I mean cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Rugelach is on my to-bake list - your tutorial will be very helpful! Thank you! I am following your lovely blog - yay!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have eaten all kinds of rugelach but not lemon and certainly not lemon and sour cream. This is a fabulous combination and you make really neat rugelach.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I might be busy making this later this week. They look so good, and the dough looks flaky and tender.
    I love that you made your own curd!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh these look so very delectable.

    I've never made rugelach but I love that you've got all the steps there for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I looove rugelach, and this is such a perfect use for these ingredients. Pistachios are my all-time favorite :) Great use of the challenge ingredients!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great combo, lemon and pistachio, and so unique in these rugelah! They look so light and flaky! I can see why they were addictive!!! : )

    ReplyDelete
  13. These look delicious and your version is wonderful. I'm going to have to give your recipe a try.

    ReplyDelete
  14. they look pretty good! it is such a great idea

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love that you can play with the dough and it doesn't get tough. What wonderful, flakey, yummy treats those must have been!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello from the ICC! I'm excited to try your dough recipe for this recipe as well as others. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks so delicious!!! And here I am trying to lose a few pounds! I think I'm going to have to cheat!!
    Candy

    ReplyDelete

So...
What do you think?