I totally loved the fabrics I collected for this piece. Some I had on hand (those are the ones that probably show up a little wrinkled in the pre-cut pics...) but the rest I picked up at JoAnn's & WalMart.
After I decided to style my quilt after sew4home's modern baby patchwork, I set up my design using Microsoft Publisher. It looked like this:
I pinned the batting to the back. Since I needed the strip on the back to line up exactly with the second strip on the front, I decided to hand baste both sides of the strip.
Next came the tedious machine quilting 1/4" from each seam of each block & strip. (My shoulders were sore for a week!)
I cut my bias binding from the tiny striped fabric & stitched it around the quilt. (I took the quilt with me on a "party bus" trip to my son's football game. I figured since we had about 200 miles to travel, I could finish with hand-stitching the binding. I did take the quilt out of the bag but only tried about three stitches... it was way too hot!)