So, with our busy lives, I've come to the conclusion that if I wrap a meal in dough, it will be eaten. Quickly. With the added bonus that it can be hand-carried & eaten in the car on the way, if need be.
Three examples of such:
- Hot dogs - so boring! (Especially the chicken/turkey ones we've been buying lately...) Cut them in half & wrap them in a dough flavored with mustard & dried onions; you've achieved gourmet status when you dip that in a pool of ketchup!
- Chili - Once a week I fix a big crock of black beans. Once a week I refrigerate the leftovers. Once a week I brown some hamburger, onions & garlic; toss in some canned tomatoes, douse it with chipotle & mix in the beans. Sometimes there are leftovers to be used with nachos -- but not this week! I divided a batch of dough between a dozen muffin cups & made a large indention to fill with chili prior to baking. (Breadman ate three, I believe...)
- Chicken & spinach - if you remember our dish from here, you'll recall the fam devours this on a regular basis. I can
cramum hideno get rid ofwell, serve a couple pounds of spinach with a couple chicken breasts & pasta. Struck mom-hood gold with this last week:
|mmmmmm -- what could be inside that gorgeous crust?|
|No way! Not our chicken & spinach!?!|
|omit pasta & insert cream cheese... yum!|
- Sautée chicken, onion & spinach as pictured here.
- Make (or thaw :D) one batch of bread dough
- Divide dough in half. Spread bottom on pizza stone.
- Top with chunks of cream cheese, spinach mixture & generous amount of parmesan.
- Roll out top crust & place on pie. crimp edges to seal. Slit crust for steam.
- Bake at 425° until browned (about 30-35 minutes)