Pages

June 4, 2011

Are you "man enough" for my white chili?

(We'll just see about that!)

I was wondering -- Do you ever get bored with the same ol' pinto-bean/hamburger/tomato-based chili? I do. My guys do. That's why we "invented" our brand of WHITE CHILI.

Start with a pork roast. I just toss mine in the crockpot during the summer. (And yes, it is still frozen... it's called "not planning ahead"...)
I season it with just a tiny little bit of kosher salt & some fresh-ground black pepper.
When it's done, I take it out to cool.
I chop it into bite-size pieces & remove excess fat.
Pour a little milk over it and roast in the oven until it's a little crispy & brown. (Yup -- kinda like carnitas...)
I hope you didn't pour off the drippings from that slowcooker!

I toss my beans & appropriate amount of water to cook.
When the beans are starting to soften, I add my other ingredients.

My two must-haves are green enchilada sauce

and lotsa garlic.
I often sauté an onion (this time I was out, so I just used dried) and add a little fresh cilantro. (Didn't have any of that, this time, either... like I said, plan ahead!) Sometimes we've been known to kick-it-up-a-notch by adding fire-roasted green chiles!

I simmer this for a bit to get those flavors dancin' & singin' together.
My favorite garnish is a sprinkle of Monterey Jack cheese. (Sour cream would add a creamy dimension, if you're into that sorta thing...)
 My boys love some sliced black olives on theirs.
Hubs likes his with a side of warm tortilla chips.

I'm linking this post to

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your yummy recipe with us at Cast Party Wednesday. I hope you come back and visit us tomorrow.
    Thanks again.
    I hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete

So...
What do you think?