Pages

April 26, 2011

I'm almost a convert...

For over a year now I've been creeping stalking following blogs with recipes for homemade laundry detergent.  For over a year now I haven't made any because I've been too lazy too busy questioning procrastinating researching... Finally picked up some ingredimaments ( Rabbit from Winnie-the-Pooh!) from my local grocery.  

I've washed 4 loads with this so far. First load I used 1/4 cup. The last three I used 1/8 cup & still had good results. The ultimate cleanliness test will come when I launder my all-white bath towels.

I am a little concerned about static (which is why I adore fabric softener in our hard, hard water) so I'm withholding judgment on that issue for right now.

This is the recipe & method I used:


2 bars of this, shredded


1 cup


1 cup


1 cup
 
I whirled all 4 ingredients in food processor until the soap shreds were unrecognizable.  I put the powder in a jar & dispensed as mentioned above. 

I was waiting for suds to appear & they never showed up. Therefore, it came as a great surprise that the clothing exited the washer looking clean without any noticeable scent. YEA! 

4 comments:

  1. http://gardenofeden-craftsfamily.blogspot.com/2011/03/homemade-dishwashing-detergent-and.html

    I started making my own detergent for cloth diapers...when I noticed how much whiter the liners washed with my homemade, I switched and now wash all our clothes in it. It is deceiving though without the suds :) I have a homemade liquid fabric softener that I use, but you could use just straight white vinegar too. No, your clothes won't smell like vinegar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the vinegar works for the static cling. I have 1 girl and 3 boys...sometimes I think my dear daughter gets dirtier than the boys...but the boys are only 7, 4 and 4 months...they still have time :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a friend at church who's been making her own laundry soap for years, but I've been afraid to try it because of my super-super-sensitive skin. As far as the static cling... thanks to my skin I'm extremely limited on what I can use in the wash, so I've been using those blue anti-static dryer balls you can find at Target or Walmart. They work great! I've been using the same pair for over 5 years now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's the same combination I use when I make mine {http://6dukes.blogspot.com/2010/05/laundry-detergent.html}. I really like it and never have any problem with static.

    Thanks for visiting my blog! Hope your husband likes the pie! :)

    ReplyDelete

So...
What do you think?