Pages

May 19, 2016

Mandarin Ginger Chicken Salad

ORANGE & GINGER is the theme for May’s Improv Cooking Challenge.  We took this opportunity to practice a little nibble we’ll be serving at my son’s graduation open house at the end of the month. I had some doubts as to whether or not the graduate would like it, but I shouldn’t have worried! There were no leftovers. (in fact, had to fend off requests for more…)

First off I poached a bit of chicken breast. This recipe uses a pound of meat; so this would be a great way to use up some leftovers or would be soooo delicious with purchased rotisserie chicken meat.

oranginger (11)Next my sous chef helped me spray muffin tins & fill with won ton wrappers. He then sprayed the wrappers after they were gently tucked into the cups. We preheated the oven to 350°, and baked for 5-10 minutes to get a nice crispy brown.  all-natural-round-wraps_0(I tried the round ones here, but decided we’ll use square for the party because the corners will make for better “handles” to grab off the tray…) While they baked I mixed up the salad.

oranginger (2)I couldn’t find my favorite slaw mix that has a bit of red cabbage. (I’m looking for that purple hue for the party because my son’s school colors are purple & black.) But, this was a pretty good substitute since this mix had the carrots already in it, so then I didn’t have to worry about that!

Here’s what I put in the salad:

  • 1 lb. chopped chicken meat
  • 1 can mandarin oranges, drained
  • 1/2 cup toasted sliced almonds (I toasted these during the oven pre-heat for won tons)
  • 14 oz. packaged slaw mix
  • 1/2 red pepper, chopped 
  • 2 green onions, slicedoranginger (4)oranginger (5)

…and here’s what went into the dressing:

  • 1 T. grated fresh ginger
  • 1 T. reserved mandarin juice
  • 1 t. sesame oil
  • 2 T. olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, finely minced
  • 2 T. soy sauce
  • 3 T. rice vinegar
  • 1/4 cup mayonaise

oranginger (6)

oranginger (7)The dressing should be gently stirred into the salad. Just prior to serving, spoon into the prepared won ton cups.oranginger (8)

Changes I’ll make next week for the open house will be the addition of red cabbage, of course…oranginger (13)

…and we’ll use the square won ton wrappers.oranginger (14)

Check out the links below for more orange & ginger recipes:

3 comments:

  1. These look absolutely divine. And what's not to love about orange and ginger. Yum. I would have never imagined using wonton wraps this way, but you've given me ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to just reach through the screen and grab one of those! I love the flavor combinations.

    ReplyDelete

So...
What do you think?