Pages

June 18, 2013

gluten free carrot bread (the slow-cooker way…)

I had to defrost my big freezer last week and I found several containers of (cooked) carrot pureé that I needed to use. Made me decide to experiment with my gluten-full carrot bread recipe using GF flours. I also had heard talk of baking quick breads in the crockpot, so I wished to try that as well.DSCN7618I mixed the dry ingredients into a large bowl:dry

  • 1 1/2 c. GF flour
  • 1 T. psyllium
  • 1 t. baking soda
  • 1/2 t. kosher salt
  • 1 t. cinnamon
  • 1/4 t. nutmeg

In the mixer, I blended the following:

  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/2 c. sour cream or plain yogurt
  • 1/2 c. honey (I actually used half molasses & half honey this time)
  • 1 c. carrot pureé

Stirred the dry ingredients into the liquids.DSCN7612Scraped the batter into my prepared loaf pan.DSCN7614Placed it in the crockpot & covered with a few layers of paper towels under the lid (to absorb the steam droplets that collect on the underside of the lid…) Set it on the “high” setting and walked away for about 3 hours. DSCN7617Smelled so wonderful I had a hard time letting the bread cool.DSCN7619Very nice texture.DSCN7621Awesome with cream cheese! Smile

DSCN7627

4 comments:

  1. Looks good. Can't wait to try it. Where do you find the psyillium? Sprouts?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Cammie ~ Sprouts was where I got mine. (I was going to post a picture, but it says "COLON CLEANSER" in big letters right on the front...) ;)

      If you order supplements from various online places, you could probably find a better price on it than Sprouts.

      Delete
    2. Colon cleanser. Now that is funny they'd that in big and bold. 😊 I wull pick some up. Thanks.

      Delete
  2. Oh, that looks fabulous and creme cheese YUM! Thank you for sharing and your sweet comment on my sons graduation. My sons major was intelligence studies, sounds like your son...It made his heart beat!

    Carol

    ReplyDelete

So...
What do you think?