Pages

July 13, 2017

Balsamic Berry Hand Pies

While I do love me some balsamic vinegar on my caprese, I'd never thought to use it in any but savory dishes. When July's #ImprovCookingChallenge ingredient list popped up, I figured I'd pass on this month's entry -- Berries & Balsamic -- yuk!
So I googled berries & balsamic - who knew it was a "thing"?! I figured I'd better try it, just in case the fellas might like it.
I used a mix of blueberries & raspberries.
The filling wasn't quite as bright-colored as I'd hoped, but it sure tasted killer
Turns out, balsamic vinegar enhances berry flavors!

I made a gluten-free pie crust and cut rounds.
Added a large dollop of filling, then topped it with a second round.
Since gf pastry doesn't always brown nicely, I brushed the tops with beaten egg & sprinkled sugar over before baking.
The crust was super flake-y and could not contain all the goodness that was the balsamic kissed berries!
So yummy! 

Good to the last crumb!


Here's what I used to make the filling:

  • 12 oz. blueberries
  • 12 oz. raspberries
  • 2 T. balsamic vinegar
  • 1/2 c. sugar
  • 1/4 c. cornstarch
  • 1/4 c. honey
  • 1 T. fresh lime juice
Stir in sauce pan over medium heat until mixture thickens.


Check out these other recipes from my fellow "Improvists" -- you won't be sorry!



2 comments:

  1. Love those little hand pies Melody and very impressed that you found time to post 2 recipes again this month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you know, Wendy, it's not the cooking or making recipes that's the tough job -- it's writing a blog around it! I was finished with the pies in June & the mules before the Fourth but didn't get them written-up until last night/early this morning... :(

      Delete

So...
What do you think?