Pages

February 19, 2014

another play… another costuming frenzy…

Yup – I’ve been stitching, again. Our youngest son’s spring play, “The Elves and the Shoemaker” opens tomorrow night. The past few weeks have been the usual frenzy of planning costumes, frequenting thrift shops, spending a morning pawing through fabrics at SAS, and sitting behind the machines constructing a few costumes.patternsMy first task was to make a tailcoat for the cowardly, yet dapper (foppish, even) character “Trescott”.DSCN9802We couldn’t find the perfect fabric, but we came the closest with a quilt-weight cotton print. We decided to fully line it to “bulk it up” a bit.DSCN9768The pattern uses facings for the inside front collar and back shoulders. I simply cut the outer and lining fabric from the same pattern pieces. (I cheated by stacking the cloths so I would only have half as much to cut out!)DSCN9776My mom’s serger sure comes in handy!buttonsI made three covered buttons.DSCN9790I cut and ironed a huge strip of bias fabric since the directions call for that to trim all the outer edge. I chose to just apply it to the cuffs.handsewThere was quite a bit of hand stitching to be done for the sleeve lining and waist.DSCN9794I can not wait to show you pictures of the finished Trescott in tomorrow’s performance!

I’ll also bring you pictures of a special “transformation” dress and the elves’ raggedy outfits.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

So...
What do you think?